Diamonds in the Ruff
Free articles & links on just about any topic!
1. Manage the situation to prevent what you don't want rehearsed
2. Train for what you do want
3. Be consistent and reinforce, reinforce, reinforce
4. Gradually relax management bits, testing to see if training is taking over
You have to grit your teeth and establish new habits for yourself during this process. And that might mean inconvenience on your part.
.............................................................................- - Helix Fairweather *Have a question? Is there a topic you wish was listed here? !* Let us know
Your New Puppy
How Early? AVSAB Position Statement
Early Puppy Socialization
What Socialization IS and IS NOT
Socialization by Denise Fenzi, Oct 24, 2016
The Puppy Socialization Plan website
- The Dog Clinic How to Socialize a Puppy With Other Dogs, Humans, Sounds and Places
Suddenly Spooked -Secondary Fear Phase
Socialization and Coping with Distractions
Helping Your Under-Socialized Dog
Is it all "how they are raised?" - Genetics and Socialization
Puppy Biting, House Training, Crate Training, etc.
OUCH! Your Puppy Alligator
He eats EVERYTHING!
House Training the Small Breed Dog
Another great article about House Training
Another great article about Crate Training
Resources for New Puppy Owners
TRAINING YOUR NEW PUPPY
How Early Can My Puppy Begin?
Why Start Early? Is it Safe?
Ian Dunbar's books: FREE downloads:
" " & " Before You Get Your Puppy " After You Get Your Puppy
Puppy raising links for breeders
Avidog - raising great puppies
Video Petting Consent Test - should you pet this dog?
LIVING WITH MORE THAN ONE DOG
Living with Littermates
- Lisa Lucas Inter-dog Aggression
You and Your Teenage Dog
The Escape Artist
The Door Dasher
Bossy Demands and Attention Seeking
DOGS IN THE FAMILY
Is Your Dog Good with Kids?
Family Paws Parent Education
Preparing for New Baby - Toddlers
Living with Kids and Dogs - Coleen Pelar
Kids and Dogs: How Kids Should and Should Not Interact with Dogs - Sophia Yin
Great books for parents:
"Please Don't Bite the Baby (and please don't chase the dog)"
"Living With Kids & Dogs
Work to Earn
Permission - w ait for the release!
Over-stimulated, Overly-Friendly Dogs
"Dominance" is a flawed concept
Why Not Dominance?
A True Story About My A**hole Dog and Why “Dominance Theory” is Bullsh*t!
Why Calm, Assertive Energy is Bullsh*t
, Mech From Dr. David Mech regarding wolf studies
Alpha Status, Dominance, & Division of Labor in Wolf Packs
- APDT Dominance and Dog Training
No Such Thing as "Alpha" Dogs
Using Dominance to Explain Behavior is Old Hat
The Social Organization of the Domestic Dog
Why do so few dog trainers hold up to Cesar Millan's standard?
Beyond Cesar Milan
- the Dominance Fallacy & Our Obsession with Pack Leadership Debunking Dominance
The Complete Guide to Stress in Dogs (And How to Relieve It)
GROWLING, SNAPPING, BITING
If your dog is doing any of these things,
seek professional help! In-home consults
"While you may be able to suddenly reach out for your own dog and pet him roughly or put your face in his face, if you do the same thing to another dog, even one who knows you well, it may make the dog uncomfortable, even to the point where he snaps or bites.
When you think about it this makes sense. You can joke around with and even run up to and hug friends on the street, but with strangers and even with co-workers or acquaintances, those same behaviors can been seen as a threat, insult, or just plain rude. If you randomly tried to perform these behaviors with people around you, many would put up with it, but eventually someone might attack you." - Sophia Yin
Click for a great article. Don't miss the PSA! HERE
The Truth About Resource Guarding
Video: resource guarding - WSU vet behavior dept.
Resource Guarding - Patricia McConnell, PhD
(BAT) Behavioral Adjustment Training
BAT - Handouts & Translations to share
) DVDs and articles on BAT
- video by Donna Hill "Look at That" game
Muzzles for safety
..... Baskerville muzzle
..... Italian basket muzzle
Custom fitted muzzles
..... How to Fit a Muzzle
..... Muzzle training 101
..... How to accustom your dog to a muzzle - Chirag Patel
Best Muzzle Training Video - Positive Reinforcement
Fear and Reactivity in Adolescence
Suddenly Spooked -Secondary Fear Phase
Thresholds - Recognize & Respect Them
Growling & Barking - important communication
Treat & Retreat
What Socialization IS and IS NOT
Respect the Fear, Change the Perception
Helping Your Worried Dog
FEARS & PHOBIAS
Fearful Dogs - seeing the world in detail - Nancy Tanner
Healing the Profoundly Fearful Dog - Nickala Squire
Fearfuldogs.com - a great resource!
The MYTH of "reinforcing fear" - great article!
SOUND SENSITIVITY/NOISE PHOBIA
Canine Thunder Phobia - the Bunker Protocol
- Karen Overall Noise Reactivities & Phobias
- Grisha Stewart Fireworks!
Desensitization and Counter Conditioning
Counter-Conditioning - How This Concept is So Misunderstood
Calming Products for Anxious/Stressed dogs:
- by Debbie Jacobs Calming Products for Fearful Dogs
- Dog Appeasing Pheromone Adaptil
Anxitane - L-Theanine
- see your veterinary behaviorist Anxiety Medications for Dogs
- Malena DeMartini Helping Dogs with Separation Anxiety
- Malena DeMartini The Separation Anxiety Top Ten List
- IAABC Journal Behavior Modification for Canine Separation Anxiety
ONLINE COURSE: Mission Possible - Malena DeMartini
BOOKS on SA:
Traveling by Car or Truck with Pets
(thanks to Caroline from the and Beth Pawlicki for recommending this page!) P2E Youth Club
Thanks to Andrew and Teens for Safety for suggesting this link! Safe Driving with Dogs
How to Keep You and Your Pet Safe in an Auto Emergency
Legislation and Breed Ban links
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN ADOPTING A DOG
I Need to Return This Dog
Are You Ready for a Dog in Your Life?
- an excellent article by Grisha Stewart, How Not to Pick a Rescue Dog , Seattle, WA Ahimsa Dog Training
Dangerous Dogs! – What Shelters, Rescues, Prospective Adopters, and Owners Need to Know
Download " and Before You Get Your Puppy" books by Ian Dunbar! FREE! After
Choosing the Right Breeder
CHOOSING THE RIGHT TRAINER
Tips from the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
Organizations, credentials and what to ask a dog trainer
Find Another Trainer IF ...
- Suzanne Clothier Bones Would Rain From the Sky
- Karen Pryor Reaching Animal Mind
- Alexandra Horowitz Inside of a Dog
- Kathy Sdao Plenty in Life is Free
- Patricia McConnell The Other End of the Leash
- John Bradshaw Dog Sense
Patricia McConnell, PhD
NORMAL DOG BEHAVIOR
Intelligent Diversions and Creative Play - preventing
Chewing and Destruction
Brain Puzzle Toys!
Teach a Willing Trade
(an article from the CAPPDT) Dogs in the Country
Coprophagia: The Scoop on Poop Eating in Dogs
What to do when your dog eats poo - Sophia Yin
Pica: Ingesting non-food items like rocks
How to Keep Dogs Out of Cat Litter Boxes
- by How to solve practically any annoying dog behavior problem 3LostDogs.com
Why is a Cue not a Command?
The Rule of Rewards
Bribes vs Rewards
Come When Called
Does your dog pull on leash?
Coping with Distractions
Equipment choices - what we recommend - and don't
...... Video on fitting/using Gentle Leader headcollar
Why a No-pull harness? Freedom harness video
...... Harness reviews
...... Retractable Leash Warning
TRAINING DEAF & BLIND DOGS
Clicker training a deaf dog
But how do I get his attention? Tips for Training Deaf Dogs
Clicker for deaf dogs - the "Flicker"
Clicker training a blind dog
Halo vest for blind dogs
Couldn't I just send my dog to you for training?
How to Play With Your Dog
Good Games, Bad Games
Tug of War?
DON'T play with laser pointers
Service Dog Training Institute - ONLINE courses
SDTI - FREE course: "Choosing a Service Dog"
Public Access Standard for Working Service Dogs
ADA Access Regs Revised 2010: Service Animals
The Difference Between an Emotional Support Dog & Psychiatric Service Dog
Article about Fake Service dogs - from Anything Pawsable
Selecting an Adult Service Dog Candidate
Study: Assistance Dog -Beh Assessment & Standardized Eval
Positive Gundog Training
Blazing a New Trail: Training Gun Dogs
Positive Training For Show Dogs
What is My Dog Saying powerpoint presentation on CD!
Dog Park Etiquette from Petfinder
Why NOT the Dog Park?
- New York Times The Dog Park is Bad Actually
The Connection Between Health & Behavior
Spay/Neuter risks and benefits:
Castration risks and benefits
Spay risks and benefits
Canine Cognitive Dysfunction - Dog Dementia
Over the counter medications that are safe - & not!
CPR for Cats & Dogs
Interesting article on How & Why Different Animals Sleep
EXERCISE - When & How
What is the Logic Behind Not Exercising Puppies Until the Growth Plates are Closed?
Exercise puppies carefully
Running with your dog
Too Much of a Good Thing: Over-excitement in Exercise
6 ways to Thwart an Off Leash Dog Rushing You or Your Dog
Space Etiquette for Dogs
Bike Attachments for Dogs
DOG PARK SAFETY
Why NOT the Dog Park?
I am NOT a Dog Park Advocate-AND HERE'S WHY
5 Health Risks Lurking at the Dog Park
15 things humans do wrong at dog parks
10 more things humans do wrong at dog parks
- From Whole Dog Journal Dog Parks are Dangerous!
The Dog Park is Bad Actually - New York Times
- Bark Magazine Dog Parks Can Be Great Places for Off-Leash Activity
FOODS & FEEDING
Fit - or Fat?
Choosing Good Foods - Whole Dog Journal
The Shocking Truth About Pet Food
Dog Food Analysis website
- Find hundreds of online dog food reviews www.dogfoodreviews.net
Foiling the Finicky Fido
Diet & Heart Disease
- July 2018 FDA Investigating Potential Connection Between Diet and Cases of Canine Heart Disease
- February 2019 Update - FDA Investigating Potential Connection Between Diet and Cases of Canine Heart Disease
- July 2018 Interpreting the information in the initial FDA report
- January 2019 Information about DCM and why some dogs eat "exotic" proteins
- February 2019 Interpretation of FDA follow up report
De-Skunking Your Dog
My dog has a TICK!
LOW STRESS GROOMING AND VET CARE:
Fear-Free Veterinary care
My Dog Struggles at the Vet or Groomer's
- Companion Animal Psychology - includes many great links! Less Stress at the Vet for Dogs and Cats
Teaching a dog to enjoy being handled, not just tolerate it
- video by Donna Hill Crate Rest Activities for Dogs after Back, Hip, Leg Injuries, ACL or TPLO, Heartworm treatment, etc
Vet care / grooming / handling VIDEOS:
....... Calm Collaborations: Chin Rest Tips
- Sarah Owings Accepting ear drops
- Laura Monaco Torelli Ready, Set for Groomer & Vet 1
RSGV - - Laura Monaco Torelli Chin Rest for Ear Care 2
- Laura Monaco Torelli Chin Rest: Vol Injection & Ear Care 3
- Nando Brown Cone of Shame
Low stress jugular blood draw
Helping your dog love having his harness put on
How to Bathe Your Dog the Clicker Way
How do I trim my dogs toenails?
Video - Nail Trim - Chirag Patel's Bucket Game - step-by-step
Video - Nail Trim - The Bucket Game
Video - Teach Your Dog to LOVE toenail trims
Video - Nail trimming from WSU behavior dept
Learning Dog Training From Television?
by Rachel Garner The Damage of Dog Whispering
The Dominance Controversy and Cesar Millan
Dog Whisperer: Frequently Asked Questions
A career with animals
I want to become a professional dog trainer
I'd like to become a veterinarian / vet tech
What about shock collars?
Expert Dog Trainer Robert Milner says Heck No to Shock Collars
- Electronic containment systems (aka fenceless fences) may be convenient for dog owners, but they are not safe for dogs. By Pat Miller - Whole Dog Journal Simply Shocking
Invisible Fences: The Bad and The Ugly - an article by Kasey LaPlace
Considering an electronic fence system? - By Norma Bennett Woolf
Please fence me in! - fencing facts from www.canismajor.com
- by Valarie Barry, Shock Collars - the Ugly Truth
Dog Star Daily
- Pet Professional Guild Puppy Training articles
Training your deaf dog: & DeafDogs.org Deaf Dogs Rock Not in Spokane, but looking for a positive dog trainer?
Click here !
Pet Partners-Pet Therapy evaluations in Spokane
Behavior videos courtesy of "Your Dog's Friend"
with veterinary behaviorist, Dr. Leslie Sinn, DVM, DACVB, CPDT-KA of Behavior Solutions for Pets "Help, My Dog is Reactive!"
with veterinary behaviorist, Dr. Amy Pike, DVM, DACVB of Animal Behavior Wellness Center "PTSD in Pets"
with Eager Beagle trainer, Karen Baragona, CPDT-KA "Fun, Enriching Activities for Your Dog"
with Dog Latin dog trainer, Juliana Willems, KPA CTP, CPDT-KA "Helping Your Fearful Dog Navigate the World"
with Jackie Moyano, PMCT, CPDT-KA; Behavior United. "Training tip: Polite Greetings"
with Juliana Willems, KPA CTP, CPDT-KA; Dog Latin Dog Training Training tip: Capturing Behavior
with Marnie Montgomery, PMCT3, CPDT-KA; Joyful Dog Training tip: Attention Games
with Sarah Stoycos, KPA CTP; Laughing Dog Academy Training tip: Leash Walking
with Lisa Arant, Small and Tall Dog Training Training tip: “Leave It” and “Drop It”
with Susan Sanderson, PMCT Training tip: Coming When Called
with Michelle Mange, Right Start Maryland Training tip: Targeting (“Touch”)
PLEASE - Read this REPRINT POLICY before you use our free articles:
These articles are provided free to our readers as an educational service.
ARTICLES OR ARTWORK MAY NOT BE USED OR REPRODUCED ON ANY WEBSITE for any reason.
Links to the Diamonds in the Ruff website, specific articles or the DITR Articles menu are permissible. The author hereby grants permission for individuals & non-profit organizations to reproduce and distribute these articles IN PRINT ONLY and in their entirety without being edited under the following conditions:
1. Full credit to the author is prominently given on each & every copy, with the notation "Copyright - Carol A. Byrnes, Diamonds in the Ruff, www.diamondsintheruff.com. All rights reserved. Used by permission." email@example.com
2. ALL copies distributed must be provided free of charge. (If a subscription is charged for your publication - even if you are a non-profit organization - you may NOT use these articles free of charge.)
3. If reproduced in a newsletter or magazine that meets the above criteria, full credit must be given and a copy of the publication sent to Diamonds in the Ruff. We'd also appreciate knowing who is using these articles - just drop us an e-mail & let us know which articles you like and how & why you use them.