Find a Dog-Friendly Trainer Near You
These professional organizations offer search engines to help you find a trainer
The Association of Force Free Pet Professionals & Pet Professional Guild
Pat Miller's Peaceable Paws Trainers list
Certified Professional Dog Trainers in the US, Canada, Singapore and the Bahamas
Karen Pryor's Clicker Training Academy
The Association of Professional Dog Trainers has an excellent page
on how to select a trainer and a list of members and how to contact them.
Doggone Safe trainers list
Looking for a trainer in Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Montana?
Looking for a trainer in Canada?
Consult the Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers
New Zealand? click here.
San Diego Dog Trainer Directory
Choosing the right trainer for You & Your Dog
* Have a working knowledge of how to consistently and effectively deliver both cues and positive consequences.
* Clearly identify target behavior, the behavior that the trainer seeks to influence.
* Continuously assess training success, discontinuing or avoiding the use of techniques that do not work.
* Give dogs frequent feedback about appropriate behavior.
* Choose an approach that gives the dog the best chance of success, rather than set the dog up to display
undesirable behavior for the primary purpose of punishing it.
* Base training programs on the principles of learning rather than on anecdotal remedies.
Who Should Treat Behavior Problems in Dogs & Cats? by Patricia McConnell, PhD
CyberDog Home Schooling for Hounds -
The Academy for Dog Trainers - Jean Donaldson
Say Yes Dog Training - Susan Garrett
Wag It Games - Sumac Johnson
FREE TRAINING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE!
Emily Larlham's Kikopup channel